New entry... 7.1.09 ... New entry

Entry 3

What I have to say this week is simple: don't give up. I mean it! When I started writing, I was only in fifth grade. Let me tell you: it sucked. Seriously, I was really into it. I made the mistake of putting myself in each character's place and asking "What would I do?", which made them all me. The plot was cheesy, and the descriptions were not very imaginative. After a while, I looked back and saw how terrible it was. I started over. That too, sucked. I was really frustrated. I was stuck in a place of cliché. A mysterious-stranger-really-rebellious-princess at an inn joins the orphan-main-character-who-lives-with-their-aunt-and-uncle, who goes out to save the world. I was in despair, but I was too attached to dump it. Though I knew better, I stayed with it. Believe it or not, that writing is part of my book today. Only recently did I cut out the whole inn sequence and gave the main character parents (that was a relief). My problem had been that I wanting so badly to write I didn't care how terrible it was. I ignored my inner smartness and continued. And I can't believe where it took me. I sometimes wonder what had happened if I had started over again. It may have changed my current plot more than I know. So, no matter how bad you think it is, go through it. You can always go back and make it more logical, original, high-quality, etc. That's how I got from shy, trusting Lapé to bold, scared Spenfalla. Sometime I'll have to show you some changes I made. But that's all for now.
Leara

2 comments:

Shalanya said...

cool. i like it. i kinda needed it, like, today i was thinking, should i just stop?? this is so hard! but i love it so much, so tank you, i needed that. Am am thinking about changing the prologue, seeing as i have made some changes in the plot, so i have to find a prologue that fits. yh, when i started writing 2 years ago, it started in phashni, with a princess named manyara. yeah, after getting like 7 chapters into it, i decided that it was lame, so i just threw it all away,(it had been hand writen.) i missed writing, but i was afraid to start up again, because i was afraid of failure. Oh, and by the way, 7 chapters was not alot, when i was 10. I think I had like 13 handwriten pages, which on the computer wouldn't be much. so yeah, thnks. i needed that.

Shalanya said...

i'll keep checking once a week!