New entry... 7.1.09 ... New entry

Entry 8

Ever hear anyone say, "It's all the little things that make the final result"? Well, that's pretty much true. And, of course, it means I'm going to apply it to something in writing. Today's subject is Characters: The Little Things. This is a super fun part if you're anything like me. I really love detail. And I just want you to see how it can affect the overall result of your writing.
Really get to know your character. Yes, you know the mood they are generally in, and how they might react in various situations, but what about them? Learn little things about them like you would of your friends. For example, maybe they have a birthday. When is it? What kinds of gifts would you give them? What kind of cake would they want? Maybe they like chocolate because it's the kind their mother made for them when they were a child. Do they have a unique laugh? Do they have habits like nail-biting? What hobbies do they like? Maybe they're left handed. Or OCD. Maybe they have an accent. If that's too difficult, maybe they use a certain term, such as "y'all", or "thee/thy" as opposed to "you/your" because of where they're from.
Oh, here's a potentially challenging one: who do they hang out with? Ok, just stop there for a second. Now, let me tell you, I can already probably read your mind. Your character has a mysterious background and no friends because he/she doesn't trust people. Just stop there again. By the power vested in me, I order you to execute this character immediately. Ok, maybe you won't go there, but listen up. This is for your own good. Trust me. Those characters are fun. Believe me, I know. Been there, done that. But really, aren't they sorta cliché? Admit it, they are. But you want realistic characters. Which means they are people. And part of human nature (or elf nature, or fairy nature, or whatever) is relationships. That excludes hermits/witches/wizards in the mountains all alone. I mean everyone else. They need friends. Ok, here's another important pointer: not everyone will like everyone else. But that also doesn't mean that there is necessarily any hate going on. Maybe some of them just don't get along. Or they don't talk because they never tried. (PS- this doesn't mean once they hold a conversation they'll be best friends) Just pay attention to who they are and what they could have in common with others. Oh, and don't forget fun things like jealousies and purely professional relationships. Aha, I just remembered another thing to say. YOU don't need to like them.
Take Yan. Spenfalla's brother, loves Ellesänya. Well, not that last part anymore. That's because I changed his character. Which you too should not hesitate to do if you know they need revising. But Yan was mad at Tolké because he thought Tol did something that made Spenfall have that little attack thing. And so I made them have a fight, and after that they were totally best friends. It took me far too long to realize how horribly good-natured the two of them were. So all I had to do was just end the fight, and have them still not on the best of terms. Often in our minds we complicate things beyond all reason. Many times the solutions are simple. Ok, sorry about this random road I traveled down. Ah, well, it's all for a purpose.
Peace, homies.
Leara

No comments: